Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I am a Samoa-addict

Hello, my name is Amy Ricci, and I am a Girl Scout Cookie addict. I have a problem. I LOVE Girl Scout cookies, specifically Samoas. When I say love, I don’t mean the sweet, innocent, exciting love, I mean the all-consuming, addicting, needy type of love. Today was Girl Scout cookie day at Random House. They put up flyers last week advertising this momentous day and I’ve been anxiously awaiting the arrival of those green clad, patch-covered girls. During a meeting today that was running late, I worried that I might miss out on the “good” boxes. Once the torturous meeting ended, I raced down to the cafeteria to get in line. After throwing some elbows and getting myself a spot at the front of the line, I happily walked away, my wallet lighter, but my bag heavier. I was overjoyed. At Hale & Hearty, after suffering through my tasteless salad, I opened the first box. Oh, the joy of the first bite of the year. That’s where this pleasant little story turns ugly. It’s barely an hour later and I’ve already made it through half a box. I feel sick, as though if I eat another, I might explode. But still I want more. I can’t stop. I put the box away, out of sight, but I can hear it calling me, taunting me, mocking me. I hope to make it home before I overdose.


On my nightstand:
I'm almost finished with Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah. It's a beautiful, touching story about the friendship between two girls. It is incredibly well-written and real. Every ordeal, every fight or shared secret, reminds me of my life and my friendships. It's definitely a tear-jerker though. For a week and a half I've had to hide my face while blubbering like an idiot on the train, trying to sniff as quietly as possible. (And when I cry, I can't hide it, it shows in my face. My nose gets red and my eyes get puffy almost instantly. It's these days when I wish I was one of those people who look serene and beautiful when they cry. I am definitely not one of them). I'm sure half of my fellow-commuters think of me as "that crazy crying girl" now. But it's worth it. I couldn't put it down. I love love love when a book so thoroughly captures my attention that I miss the stops on the train. Almost every day since I've been reading, I look up when we've reached my destination, confused because I don't remember stopping at the other stops. The relationships in this story are so real, the emotions so raw. It really is incredible. Full of love, jealousy, friendship, and life, this is definitely a book worth reading, even if it means crying on the train.

No comments:

Post a Comment