Monday, November 23, 2009

Love

"God never promised life would be fair or even that life would be pleasant - only that you do not have to go it alone."
- The Geography of Love, Glenda Burgess

I'm reading The Geography of Love right now. This sentence made me stop and think. People look to religion for answers, concrete responses, physical things, problems to be solved. I thought, what if God is only there to provide love? That might not seem enough from religions that boast an omnipotent being who rewards humans for good behavior, but to those who are unloved, it might mean everything. All this time, for centuries, people have looked to God for solutions, angry He could not provide more. But what's more than love? Love, hope, is more powerful than we choose to believe. I believe it's life-saving, not just life-making. Even Harlow's monkeys were distraught and depressed without mothers, without love. All it took was the illusion of love, the hope that their mothers were there, in the form of a fur-covered tin, to bring happiness and comfort. Even if God is someone invented by religion, the illusion of the love and hope he offers could be enough to give comfort.

People often speak to the power of prayer and hope performing miracles, prayers answered. But I think the prayers themselves are the answer. Hope, love, optimism can do wonders, even perform miracles. I think the strength of love should never be underestimated. And if that's all God provides, maybe that's enough.


On my nightstand:
Since my last post, I've read The Story Sisters and am now onto The Geography of Love. The Story Sisters was good, though I wouldn't say great. The main protagonist acted out, was manipulative, even mean. She wasn't a strong and I found I really couldn't relate to her. She frustrated me and angered me. Although I guess that could be considered a great book since it evoked a strong emotion, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I have other books. I enjoyed the beginning and the end, the middle just frustrated me.

The Geography of Love, on the other hand, is great. It's a memoir by Glenda Burgess, no one I had ever heard of. It's sweet, real, and touching. It was lent to me by a friend, who told me it made her cry, which is why I haven't picked it up until now. I'm tired of being the crazy crying girl on the train. But I had finished my book the other day and the train station stopped selling magazines, so I needed something to read and that book was in my car. And now I can't stop even though I know it'll make me cry pretty soon. It's amazing. Don't be afraid like me, and pick it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment