Sunday, December 13, 2009

Christmas Happenings


Decorating for Christmas is always the highlight of the season for me. I love trimming the tree while watching a holiday movie or listening to Christmas music. This year was especially special as it is the first Christmas that Kurt and I live together. We decided to get our tree last Sunday at Keris Tree Farm, which I totally recommend. We didn't really want to cut down our own tree, so I double-checked online that they had fresh-cut trees. We went about 45 minutes before closing and just our luck, they were out of fresh-cut trees. Which means we had to trudge through the fields in ankle deep mud as it was a balmy 50 degrees. Let me just say that we were not prepared for this. Kurt was wearing white sneakers and I had suede moccasins on - not the best mud-wading shoes. After finding the "perfect" tree, we cut it down using the flimsy saw they gave us (and by "we", I of course mean Kurt. He made me try to cut it down and I couldn't do it). About 15 minutes later, we had the tree strapped to the top of Buick and were driving back home praying it wouldn't fly off. Our tree is huge. As Kurt cut the strings wrapped around it, I was reminded of Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation. It resulted in almost the exact same scene with the two of us covered in sap and pine needles. A great new holiday memory.

Yesterday, we met up with three of Kurt's friends from college and their wives in New York City. We went to ESPN Zone for lunch where the guys instantly turned into twelve-year-olds upon sight of the arcade upstairs and Kurt's friend set a record for spotting someone he knew (about 5 minutes into getting into the city). The food was decent, but the arcade was by far the best part. Especially for the guys. Then, we went to see the tree at Rockefeller Center. We had originally planned to ice skate, but the line was way too long, so we settled on taking pictures in front of the tree. We walked to the rink in Central Park to look at the line there. It really wasn't long at all, but it was getting ridiculously cold, so we sat above the rink watching the ice-skaters, living vicariously through them and drinking hot chocolate. Perfect. For dinner we went to Ruby Foo's. The restaurant itself was cramped (typical of NYC) despite the large space (not so typical), but the food was great. It's a Pan-Asian restaurant, so they have Thai, Chinese, and Japanese food. In my opinion, the best thing we tried were the Chicken Lettuce Wraps. The whole day was a blast. We haven't seen these friends in years and getting to catch up with them was really great. Next time though, we'll make sure to do it on a much warmer day.


On my nightstand:
I just finished reading Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella. She is the author of the Shopaholic series, which I love. I really like her style of writing, though I usually find her main characters to be a bit annoying. This book was really cute. The main character's great-aunt dies and begins to haunt her and coerces her into looking for her stolen necklace. It's a cute story about family, friendship, and ultimately discovering the truth about who you are. It's a light read, good for beach-reading, or as a Christmas present for the avid reader in your life - just a suggestion.

No comments:

Post a Comment