Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Value of Retail Therapy

Given my successful shopping trip on Black Friday, it's only normal that I wear at least one new piece of clothing each day since. And I have. Today I wore a fitted, black sheath dress from H&M with a gray button-less cardigan. Inevitably and as new clothes always do, my outfit made me happy. I actually looked forward to getting out of bed so I could wear something new. So I wondered, what is this joy that new clothes bring? I wouldn't consider myself an overly-materialistic person, no more than the average person at least. So how do I explain the sheer joy that comes from new clothes? I like having nice things, of course, but I wouldn't say I need them. Then again, new clothes give me this feeling of confidence that nothing else can. After a particularly eventful shopping spree, I will wear my new clothes somewhat obsessively until that time comes when they magically transform into old, ill-fitting, and completely untrendy.

Hosts of style makeover shows spout the theory that dressing better will make you feel better. While I don't believe new clothes can change a person's outlook completely, I can't help but acknowledge some truth in that belief. Who hasn't had a new dress that somehow seems to pull their shoulders back, hide a tummy pooch, and put a spring in their step? I admit that this joy is not deep-rooted and really only exists on the surface. It will not change your life or cure depression, but it is something, right? I am at the point in my life where I am fairly content with myself. I've come to appreciate who I am and what I look like. I've even learned to accept my many flaws. I'm not obsessed with botox or cosmetic surgery. In fact, I kind of like my gray hairs and the beginnings of wrinkles on my face and I fully admit that I would wear my favorite pair of sweats or running shorts every single day if it was socially acceptable. So I don't think that little confidence boost, that small dosage of happiness I get from wearing new clothes has anything to do with superficiality or materialism. Instead, maybe it simply means I really need new clothes.

2 comments:

  1. It is totally ironic that you wrote this blog today. I wore my new boots and new shirt and I felt amazing today :-). It was so uplifting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely agree about the new clothes feeling, but I think that goes with anything new, not just clothes, whether it be new golf clubs, a new car, or a new pocket protector. However, my 2008 World Champions T-Shirt will always make me feel GREAT

    ReplyDelete