Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Sunday, I realized something. I am so used to being busy, to working constantly, or at the very least having a plan with what to do in my free time, that I don’t know what to do on the off-chance I have a few hours to myself without anything to do. This is precisely what happened on Sunday. I didn’t have to work, or take my Nonni (my g'ma) shopping, or go grocery shopping, or do anything. I was looking forward to it, until my free time actually came. And I was bored. Kurt went to a fantasy football draft so I was left at home to my own devices. I watched 3 movies, went for a run, and took a nap and I was still bored. I was restless. Finally, my best friend called. “I’m dropping off the clothes I borrowed. I’ll bring them over on my way to Barnes & Noble.” When she pulled up, I informed her that I was coming with her. I needed to get out of the house. What’s happened to me? Am I that used to being constantly on the go that I can’t enjoy relaxing and doing nothing? I honestly felt like I was wasting time sitting around on the couch! Not good.

Every Sunday, my dad, my sister, and I have lunch at our grandmother’s house. I’m sure many of you have heard a story or two about my Nonni. She is the stereotypical Italian, Catholic grandmother: heavy on the guilt and on the garlic. I love her dearly and see her at least once a week, but she also drives me a little crazy. On Friday, I went grocery shopping for her. Inevitably, I always buy something wrong (even if it’s exactly what she would’ve bought). Sure enough, on Sunday, I was told that her gnocchi weren’t up to par because of the potatoes I bought. Truth be told, there was too much flour in the gnocchi. I just nod and smile and say, “Yes Nonni, I’ll buy the "right" kind next time.” There’s no use in arguing, this I’ve learned after 25 years of trying.

On the way to Nonni’s yesterday, my dad informed me that he is rejoining the Catholic church. He was raised Catholic, but hasn't been involved with the church in years. I’m pretty sure that in my lifetime, my father has not been to Mass…until now. Before leaving the church entirely, my father was in seminary school to become a priest. Thankfully, he left and married my mom and as a result, had my sister and me. I'm happy that he's becoming involved again. I think it’s good to have a belief or a faith in something. My sister and I were raised Presbyterian like our mother, so I do find it a little strange now that our father actively belongs to a different denomination than we do, but I'm proud of him. This revelation of his made me think about faith and church. We used to go every Sunday. In high school, I was very involved in my church's youth group and in Sunday School. During college, I'd go every once in awhile when I was home on breaks, but I haven't been in years. I used to love going to church - singing the hymns, listening to the sermons, not to mention our communion bread was the best bread I've ever tasted. I don't know, there's something about going to church that made me happy for the rest of the day. But I've stopped going for various reasons. I'd like to start going again, but I want to find a different church. I've found that my old church, for whatever reason, doesn't feel like mine anymore. It's a wonderful church, with wonderful people who have been there for me throughout my life, but it feels different now. It's not that it's changed much at all. It's me that's changed. I'll still go to visit on holidays and see the people I grew up with, but I think it's time to find a church that fits me as I am today, not as I was ten years ago. There are a couple of churches I have in mind that I'd like to check out. If anyone has any recommendations, let me know. I would prefer a Presbyterian church as that's what I was raised, but I'm open to other denominations.

Something that made me very ashamed of one of my last posts (my confession of my fear of homeless people):
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32634073. I read about this girl in Elle. It's a wonderful story that just shows what can be done when you don't give up.

And something that made me proud to work for a company that supports the First Amendment:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/22/wisconsin.book.row/index.html?iref=newssearch. Our company has a First Amendment Committee which aim is to ensure this incredible piece of legislation is never ignored. The committee wrote a letter to the Director of the Library in West Bend offering their full support. Isn't it time we opened our minds?


On my nightstand:
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. I'm reading this for a book club and I have to say, I love it. It's beautifully written and interesting as hell, but I think what I love most are the little descriptions of bee life before each chapter. Bees have always interested me even though I'm deathly afraid of them (I was once stung 3 times simultaneously on the playground in elementary school). My uncle and aunt own hives and make their own honey. I just think they're the most incredible creatures, but like I said, I usually run screaming from them when they come near me. In the first scene, the narrator is laying in bed when bees come through the cracks in her walls and fly around the room. She says she loves watching them fly and buzz around. While I'm sure it would be a beautiful sight, I wouldn't be around long enough to see it, let me tell you that. This really is a beautiful book. I'll update more once I've finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment