Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Pink Cadillacs, New Enemies, and Fallen Angels

For those of you who haven't heard yet, after 7 years of dating, Kurt and I are now engaged. He surprised me on Friday after work with the most beautiful ring ever, dinner and a hotel room in New York. It was absolutely perfect. I am extremely impressed with his ring-choosing skills. I've known him for a very long time and I never would have thought he could pick something this breathtaking. Dinner was at a place called Sosa Borella - a small Argentinian restaurant on 8th Ave. It was amazing - romantic atmosphere, great service, incredible food. I had ceviche with sea scallops and branzino for my entree. They were both perfect. The branzino was buttery and melted in my mouth. Kurt's steak was well cooked, but the mashed potatoes were the star of his plate. I highly, highly recommend this place.


As for the wedding, we've started planning a little already, drawn up a preliminary guest list, looked at venues, and I've saved some dresses to my theknot.com page. We're looking at a June, 2011 wedding. I've been stressing a little about the budget - why weddings are so ridiculously expensive? I want to do something simple and somewhat casual - outdoor, but even that seems to be out of our budget. My goal is to do it for around $15,000, hopefully less. We're both starting to save and I'm going to open a wedding account on ING Direct to help us. I plan to do a lot myself and find ways of making our little money go far. Updates will come as we begin to make concrete decisions.


Last night, my friend and I had a Mary Kay beauty consultation and by the end of the night, I found myself signing up to be a consultant myself. I have no idea how it happened. We had mini-facials and makeovers and the products were actually amazing. I loved them, frankly. And I figure this could be a great way to make some extra money for the wedding. So, if anyone is interested, I now have my own personal website. Check it out if you want. The skincare line and foundation are particularly good. My mom was an Avon Rep so I do feel like I'm the enemy and have gone to the dark side, but who knows, maybe I'll make some extra money for the wedding, or maybe I'll even make enough to earn that pink Cadillac. www.marykay.com/amy.ricci


Not-so-little-known fact: I hate bugs. All of them. Cockroaches, mustache bugs, stink bugs, spiders, ants. But I have a new enemy: Sprickets, also known as Cave Crickets. These are by far the worst. They look like a cross between a large spider and a cricket (see the picture below). A few weeks back, one jumped out of the kitchen sink at Kurt, practically attacking him. Then, last week, while I was turning on the water for a shower (I always seem to find huge insects while I'm getting ready to shower, naked and completely vulnerable), and I thought I saw something on the shower curtain, but when I looked again it was gone. When I backed up, it was on the wall right next to me. The biggest spricket ever. Naturally I screamed bloody murder and Kurt came running in to save me. The thing jumped at him again and again until he killed it. We looked it up on wikipedia and amazingly it came up when Kurt typed in "spider and cricket". These God awful things live in dark, dank caves without light, which pretty much ensures that I'm NEVER going into our cave of a basement ever again. The only way to get rid of them is to get rid of dark, dank places where they dwell. Right. Because that's possible in a 200 year old house with a root cellar next to a lake. They're harmless, sure, but here's my favorite part. Because they can't see well, their defense mechanism is to LAUNCH themselves at any perceived threat. Let me tell you, it's extremely effective on me. I'm now afraid to shower, go near the kitchen sink, and go into the basement. I just keep envisioning hundreds of these things launching themselves at me as I walk down the basement steps. Well, no more. I will never go down there again, no matter what.


On my nightstand:

I just finished Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick. All I have to say is Oh. My. God. It was incredible. It's been awhile since I've finished a book and been utterly depressed just because it was over. I was depressed today after reading the last word. It's a paranormal romance about a fallen angel. The guy, unlike Edward in Twilight and the boys in other books I've read, is bad, really bad, and complicated. The girl is stronger than other heroines I've read which is refreshing and the story is interesting, although slightly reminiscent of other books in its genre. The last word in the book is "More." It's the perfect ending because it's all I want from this story, more. I can't wait for the sequel. It can't come soon enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment