Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Swaying in the wind

I work in a skyscraper. On days like today, when the wind is near hurricane levels, working in a skyscraper can be a very scary thing. All day long today, I could hear the building creaking as it swayed back and forth in the wind. I am fully aware that skyscrapers are meant to sway in the wind (if there was no give at all, the stress would be too much and the building would collapse), but that does not make the creaking any less upsetting. On days like today, you can FEEL the building swaying. Not comforting when you’re 10 stories up and pretty much don’t stand a chance if the building collapses. Needless to say, I hate windy days at work.

On a lighter note, last week I stayed at a friend’s apartment in Brooklyn. We went to Candle 79, a vegan restaurant on the upper east side (79thand Lexington) to visit another friend who works there. Being born into an Italian family, I am somewhat apprehensive when it comes to vegan foods. Crunchy granola, flavorless soy beans, and unshowered, hippie women with hairy armpits come to mind when I think of vegan food. But I will try anything once. Well, almost anything. I draw the line at certain organs: heart, liver, tongue, brain, eyeballs. I don't think my life will be incomplete if I never taste any of these. But I digress. Candle 79 was incredible. If I hadn’t known it was vegan, I never would have guessed. The decor was upscale and beautiful and the food was great (and not just for a vegan place, for any place). The food was tasty and well executed, the staff was friendly and knowledgeable, and the atmosphere was relaxing. I was highly impressed. It’s amazing to me that chocolate and peanut butter mousse, nachos with cheese, and butternut squash cream soup could all be done without dairy and eggs. And I couldn’t even tell the difference. It was definitely a little expensive for my budget, but it was worth it to have my eyes opened to the world of veganism. Don't get me wrong, I have no plans to convert. Mind you, I don’t need meat with every meal and really only eat it every so often, but I could never give it up. While I could never become a vegan, or even a vegetarian, I have a new found respect for vegan food. If you go, please make sure to get the nachos (ask for it without the meat substitute) and the homemade ginger ale.

I saw this article on MSN.com today: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/23713175/ns/today-today_weddings?GT1=43001 I'd heard of "trashing the dress" before, where brides get pictures taken doing something that ruins their wedding dress, after the wedding day of course. I'd always thought that I would never want to do this, that my wedding dress will be too meaningful, not to mention expensive, to ruin. But then I looked at the slideshow in this article. Please click on it. The pictures are beautiful and striking. I might change my mind. Knowing what these brides are doing makes the photos that much more powerful.

I've decided to end this post with something that will, without a doubt, make everyone smile. http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/33205603/ns/today-today_pets/?GT1=43001 Take a look at the slideshow in this article. These are teacup pigs. I have wanted one ever since I saw them on The Today Show. I mean really, you can't help falling in love with them. They're so cute my heart actually aches to look at them. I need one.


No comments:

Post a Comment