Thursday, July 22, 2010

Ode to My Sister

Today, my baby sister turns 21. Does it make me feel old? Yes. But am I proud of the woman she's become. Absolutely. I can't wait to take her out tomorrow night and have a drink with her not in the privacy of a friend's basement or at a family dinner, but out in public, at a bar. It kind of blows my mind a little. I'm sure there will be many drunken "I remember the day you were born!" stories tomorrow night. And I do. It was the best day of my life. The day my little sister and best friend came into my life. I love that I was old enough to remember the day she was born. I had been praying for a baby sister for years. I don't know what my parents would have done if she's had been a boy. She was instantly mine. I helped change her diapers, even took her to my Kindergarten class for show and tell - "S" for sister.

Sure, there were days when I'd manipulate her, boss her around, fight with her, (and those days still exist) but they would eventually bring us closer and I hope, help to make her the strong woman she is today (or so I tell myself). I spent my life watching her grow up, trailing along behind me, wanting to be just like me. Now, she's grown into herself, a beautiful, smart, young woman, who ends up taking care of me just as much I take care of her. I am the proudest big sister anyone could ever be.

Ok, I think that's enough sappiness for one post. I'm sure there will be much more tomorrow after we shared our first few "public" drinks together. Cheers to Amanda!


No comments:

Post a Comment