Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The appeal of a broken ankle and hooker heels


My sister and I went shopping two weekends ago and, as always, spent about 3 hours in the shoe department at Macy's. I think if I had all the money in the world, it would be spent on shoes. And then those shoes would sit in my closet, unworn, forever. I love shoes. I hate uncomfortable shoes. The problem with this is all the shoes I love seem to be uncomfortable.

I try to control myself. I only buy heels of a "sensible" height (no more than 3 inches), with a chunkier, '40's style heel, rather than a stiletto (thank god chunky heels are in style). I tend to spend a little more on heels because they're usually made better and thus (slightly) more comfortable. I try not to buy patent leather since they don't mold to your feet the way leather does. I promise, I'm not Amish. My heels are actually pretty cute. And fashionable.

However, finding cute, classy, "sensible" heels is made next to impossible since all the heels at Macy's, and most shoe stores for that matter, look like something only hookers wear (no offense to those of you who are able to walk in these shoes. I envy you, I do). And I'm not talking the classy, Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman, prostitutes. I'm talking the trashy, wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot stick hookers (no offense to those of you who might be hookers, though I do not envy you).

What is up with these heels? Who can walk in them? No, who can walk in them and manage to look NORMAL? If I were to put those things on, I'd forever look like I was trying to walk a tightrope. They look like they could be used as a very effective weapon. I do not understand this trend. Granted, there have been some trends that I was fully against in the beginning, but then got used to until I came around to them, and then gave in and replaced my previously trendy (and now Salvation Army material) clothes. You know the ones: Uggs, skinny jeans, high-waist trousers. But these. I don't think I could ever get used to these heels. Not only because I KNOW I wouldn't be able to walk in them for more than 2 steps, but also because I can't get past the images of hookers they bring to mind.

If any of you out there wear these things, please enlighten me. What is the appeal? Are broken ankles and bunions THAT in demand? And HOW DO YOU WALK IN THEM?

2 comments:

  1. drink a lot. that is the only way I can walk in them. LOL And I am not making promises that I'm graceful! -shire :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shire, I feel like that would make it even worse for me!

    ReplyDelete