Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Must Love Dogs

Tonight, while I was trying to straighten up before my friend came over, Kurt walked out the door without a word (granted, it's entirely possible that he did tell me where he was going and I just wasn't listening. Which happens more often than I will ever admit.). When he didn't return after about 10 minutes, I went outside looking for him, expecting to find him either dead in the street or on the phone with some hussy (for the record, he was up the street, buying the gift card I'd asked him to get about 20 minutes prior). Instead, I found some random dog, with a collar and tag wandering around on the sidewalk. I looked about. No one. Let me preface this by saying I am very cautious around dogs. I love dogs, but my mother (who raised collies) taught me to be very careful around ones I didn't know. So, against my better judgment, I followed it. 

I am an animal lover to the core. Yes, I prefer cats, but I love dogs too, not to mention every other furry being on the face of the earth. You know those ASPCA commercials with the Sarah McLaughlin song playing over shots of starving, pathetic, lonely looking animals? I bawl like a baby. I actually have to change the channel every time I hear the opening notes to that song. I will not watch Old Yeller, nor Marley and Me for that matter. Too painful. I ran over a frog once. And cried. 

So clearly, I could not let this poor animal wander the streets of Allentown without trying to help it. Let me mention also that this was on Main Street - the major road in Allentown. Ok, yes, the speed limit is 25 mph and if you, God forbid, were to go 26 mph, the police will pull you over, and give you a ticket, but still. It could totally be dangerous. I had to help this poor creature. I called it. It ignored me. I slowly followed it, keeping a large distance, just in case it had Rabies or something. I made eye contact. Then called it again. Still it ignored me. Finally, it approached me and I was able to test the water and pet its head.

And then it ran into the street. Being the animal lover I am, I couldn't let it get run over. So, I RAN WITH IT INTO THE STREET so it wouldn't get run over. I figured, if the cars didn't see the dog, they'd see me and slow down. I am aware this was not the smartest thing to do, but what I did next was even less smart.

When we crossed the street, without having been hit by a car, thank you very much, I tried to grab its tag to determine its owner. Then it bit me. I don't mean it snapped at me, narrowly missing my hand. I mean, it actually bit my thumb. It growled, bit down hard on my thumb, and then growled again, all in the fraction of a second. By some miracle, it didn't break the skin. And then I ran away. Upset and shaken.

I mean, really. I'd just saved this dog's life. You'd think he'd be SOMEWHAT grateful.

In case any of you are still worried about this ungrateful little jerk, on my way back from this traumatic experience, I found his owner. So he's home safe and sound. And I'll be able to sleep tonight.

2 comments:

  1. Now you have to come meet Lestat so he can steal your heart and kiss your boo boo better ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww. I know Lestat would NEVER do something like that! I can't wait to meet the little guy!

    ReplyDelete