Thursday, January 12, 2012

Following the flock

Every year, like everyone else on the planet, I make New Years resolutions with the intent to keep them. I try not to make big, sweeping New Year's resolutions for the simple fact that I'll never ever keep them, but of course, there are a few of those, along with a couple simple resolutions that I'll actually keep. So, without further ado, here are my goals for 2012:

Stop spending money on Tall Caramel Macchiatos. I am a coffee snob. It’s not something I’m proud of and I will be gracious and drink regular brewed coffee, and like it, but I prefer espresso drinks. I learned to enjoy drinking coffee while studying in Italy. And it completely ruined me. Sure, I drank coffee in college, but I saw coffee as more of a means to an end; a way of getting caffeine into my tired body. In Italy, drinking coffee is a pasttime, one I learned to appreciate. So, when we got married, the one present I REALLY wanted from our registry was an espresso machine, so I could make my own espresso. We got the machine and it sits brightly shining in our kitchen, yet I still found myself at Starbucks almost every morning, doling out $4 for a macchiato. Since the New Year, I’ve been making my own each morning. I spend 10 minutes each morning sitting at my computer, checking email, doing the daily crossword, and relaxing before heading to work. Those 10 minutes were the ones previously spent getting off the highway, driving to Starbucks, and waiting for them to make me a drink. Now, I’m not only saving us money, I’m gaining a little time to myself each morning. What could be better?

Get a hubcap. I have a 2006 VW Jetta. It was my college graduation present to myself; a present I’ve been slowly buying myself for the past 5 years (yea, maybe not the best decision as a poor college graduate, but oh well). About 3 years ago, I lost a hubcap when I hit a pothole on the drive back from the beach. And I’ve never replaced it. That’s right. For 3 years, I’ve been driving without a hubcap. I know hubcaps don’t actually have any practical function, they’re there to just look pretty, so I’ve put off getting a new one. Yet every time I look at my car, I cringe at its ghetto-ness. It’s time to restore my car’s dignity and replace it.

Buy a pair of Frye Boots. Kurt and I have a joint checking account as well separate accounts. The sole purpose of the separate accounts is to be able to buy things (mainly expensive shoes) without having to answer questions. We put a small amount each month into our separate accounts. It’s actually a great lesson in restraint. If I find something I want that’s a little expensive, I have to wait until I’ve saved enough money. And the one purchase I’m dying for is a pair of Frye boots. I’ve coveted a pair of these for years, but the large price tag kept me from buying them. Recently, I’ve spoken to a few friends who own Frye boots and they spoke of their high quality. “An investment piece,” they said. To that end, I have been trying to cut down my wardrobe and buy higher quality staple items slowly. For the past few months, I’ve saved my money and I’m almost there. I can’t wait to buy them. In the days of credit cards and low interest rates, I’d forgotten how good it feels to work hard and save for something you really want. You become much more discretionary with your money. At least I do.

Use coupons. Is anyone else terrible at remembering to use coupons? In my purse, right now, I have no less than 20 coupons for various stores and restaurants I frequent. I guarantee only one will get used before they expire. Maybe. I just never remember I have them. I get coupons in the mail constantly. My purse is cluttered with them. But I never remember I have them. For some reason, I’m better at remembering to use ones for clothing stores or beauty stores, but only because getting the coupon encourages me to shop at the store. It’s a problem. I’m not the sort of person who sits clipping coupons. If you are, I envy you in a way. If I’m shopping at a clothing store, I’ll check online for deals, or printable coupons, but when it comes to grocery shopping and the like, we end up paying full price, simply because we forget to use that coupon for $1 off the cereal we eat EVERY DAY. We’ll even go into the store fully meaning to use the coupon, but once we get to the register, that tiny little money saver is forgotten and forlorn, in the bottom of my purse. We’ll get in the car, be halfway home, and realize our stupidity. For the past month, each week I’ve been going through our coupons, taking a mental inventory of what we could save on. It makes me a little more mindful of the coupons we have and so far, has been helping. 

What are your resolutions for the new year?

No comments:

Post a Comment