Sunday, January 1, 2012

Reflecting Back and Looking Forward

2011 was a pretty good year, I’d say. I got married to my love of 9 years. I celebrated with friends and family at the weddings of loved ones. I joined a flag football team. Ran a half marathon. Ran the Broad St. Run. Made new friends. Was asked to be a Godmother (unfortunately, not the fairy kind). Bought a kitten. Watched my baby sister graduate from college. Went salsa dancing.

And then life sent some harder experiences just to keep me on my feet. Hurricane Irene happened and we were “homeless” for 2.5 weeks. A friend was diagnosed with cancer. Good friends moved halfway across the world.

I think no matter what happens, no matter your lot in life, life is what you make of it. Those good experiences at the top? They happened because we make them happen, not because we’re lucky. As for the harder ones underneath? What can I say: life happens. Those are the things that make you stop and take a look at your life. They’re the things that make you want to experience the good, to do more with your life, to make time for the important people in your life.

If you look at those experiences in that way, good can always come out of bad. Adjust your lens and see them differently. Focus on anything other the bad, then give yourself something good to look forward to.

2011 was pretty great, but I’m looking forward to more time with friends and family, more life goals achieved, and even more happiness and love in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment