Monday, August 10, 2009

I'm Part of the 75%

I have off from work this week.  My goal is to organize all my photos and files into the pretty boxed I bought from IKEA, and to continue writing my book.  So far, I've watched Rachel Ray and am headed to the beach.  Oh well.  Right now, I'm watching The View and I have to say that sometimes I think people get lost in percentages.  They just hear a percentage and think it's a large number, no matter what it is.  The hosts were just talking about a survey that found that 25% of women, age 18-34 would rather win America's Next Top Model than win the Nobel Prize.  They couldn't believe it.  25%!  25% is the minority!  That's 1 in 4 women, age 18-25.  I would've thought it would've been more!  That means 75% would rather win the Nobel Prize.  That's GOOD!  These surveys skew the results by saying the more interesting finding, even if it means nothing.  It sounds more shocking if you say 25% would rather win ANTM than saying 75% would rather win the Nobel Prize.  The latter is boring.  But it surprises me that people don't seem to see through this.  

This weekend, my friends and I went to a Jason Mraz concert at PNC Bank Arts Center.  We had lawn seats so we brought a blanket and pigged out on $9 beer, pretzels, snickers, and ice cream.  It was a lot of fun.  I think all concert venues should have lawn seats.  Although it did rain on us toward the end, proving that that idea isn't so great, but still, it's so nice to just sit and relax and hang out with your friends.  Jason Mraz was great, but I think the girls in front of us were even more entertaining.  I have never seen anyone dance like this ever.  It was a lot of fun to watch.  I think they actually had a routine for the songs.  They were crazy!  Totally in their own world.  While I wouldn't say it was the best dancing I've ever seen, I was a little envious of their confidence.  


On my nightstand:
I know I forgot to write about a book on my last post so here's two for you.

Right now, I'm reading Godmother by Carolyn Turgeon.  It's a cute story about Cinderella's fairy godmother.  While trying to get Cinderella to the ball, she falls in love with the prince and goes in her place.  As a result, she is banished from the fairy world and must live on Earth.  It's a cute story for anyone like me, who's slightly obsessed with the Cinderella story and wondered throughout her childhood where her fairy godmother was.

Another great book to pick up is The Hunger Games.  I swear you will be hooked by the end of the first chapter.  It's another dystopian future where The Capital flexes its muscle by requiring that each of the twelve districts send a boy and a girl between the ages of 12 and 18 to the Hunger Games.  The Hunger Games is a fight to the death.  The 24 contestants are left to their own devices in an arena (some sort of harsh wilderness) and the last person standing wins.  It's broadcast on the only television station and is mandatory to watch.  It's disturbing and straightforward, unapologetic.  It's an incredible story about one of the contestants and her experiences in the Games.  I guarantee you'll love it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment