Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My new glasses

Yesterday, I went to the beach with some friends. It was a blast! The only other time I went to the beach this summer, it was so windy that we had to leave. If any of you have ever read The Cay, you'd understand. The sand was being pelted at us. I was surprised none of us were cut from it. Anyway, yesterday though was fun. We went to Pt. Pleasant - I've never actually been to the beach there, only the boardwalk - and we were actually active! Normally I go to the beach and lay there for hours reading and trying to convince my skin to take on color. I even got to show off my awesome soccer skills - I took their steady stream of laughter as a unique form of applause. I also discovered what a wonderful thing ocean water is. Now this is a little gross, but I didn't shower after the beach yesterday and I went to the pool today (so I didn't shower until after the pool), but my hair was awesome! It was so thick and manageable! Don't be surprised if you spot me carrying around a spray bottle filled with ocean water.


About a week ago, a bought a new pair of glasses. For those of you who don't know, I am about as blind as a bat. I always wear contacts. I couldn't afford new glasses since eye insurance only covers EITHER contacts or glasses every year. This year, I was determined to stretch out my contact lenses so they'd last me two years. That way, I could buy glasses. Kurt always used to make fun of my old glasses. They were broken and filthy and I couldn't see out of them since the lenses were from 6 prescriptions ago at least. I only wore them before bed. The eye doctor appointment was interesting though. I walked in and they asked me to take out my contacts in the back and then come back up front. I took them out and walked unsteadily back to the counter. For those of you who are lucky enough to have perfect vision, the closest thing to this feeling is being very very drunk. It's uncomfortable not being able to see. On my little walk back to the front, I couldn't help thinking that if this were Caveman time, I'd be long dead - killed by some saber toothed tiger I never saw coming. Back at the counter, completely blind, the woman said to me "OK honey, come and fill out this form." Huh? I just took out my contacts! "Um, I can't SEE now!" was all I could think to say. I figured it would've been obvious, given where I was and what she had just asked me to do. Apparently not. "Well, just fill out your social security number and we'll do the rest afterwards," So I went over, put my nose to the paper so I could see, and filled out my SSN. But I can't complain too much! They had my glasses ready the next day! I love them. I'm going to start wearing them more - I just need to get used to driving without peripheral vision. The reason I bought them was so I could wear them more often, to work, etc. Today, as I was getting ready, I realized the irony. I need to put my contacts in to put on my makeup. Otherwise I can't see! So my new routine is contacts in, makeup on, contacts out, glasses on. I thought wearing my glasses would let me leave out a step. Guess not.


On my nightstand:

Nothing new. Since I'm not commuting this week, it's taking me longer to read Godmother than usual. But I did just get in two new books - Olive Kitteridge and The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. I'll report back on those when I've started them.

2 comments:

  1. I just got new glasses too! Does your insurance only cover eye doctor appointments only once every two years when you need one appointment a year to receive new contacts? Just another vision insurance failure. :(

    I love my new glasses too though - we'll have to have a glasses party at our next playdate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My insurance covers one appt a year thankfully, but only contacts OR glasses each year, so I have to choose.

    We should definitely have a playdate! You'll have to come see our new place too! When are you coming???

    ReplyDelete