Thursday, August 13, 2009

My boyfriend is old - and I'm almost there

The 25th year of my life has been eventful - I've moved in with my boyfriend, my car insurance went down $40 a month just because I turned 25 (which is the best event yet, no offense honey), and lastly, I got my first cavity.

I went to the dentist on Tuesday to get some x-rays. I hadn't had a cleaning in over a year so they wanted to make sure I didn't have any cavities. Well, after 25 years of perfect dental health, I have my first cavity AND two soon-to-be cavities. Needless to say, I was devastated. I don't really think the dentist realized how upset that made me. I felt like I had failed. I had NEVER had a cavity. I brushed my teeth twice a day! What went wrong? And all he kept saying was, "You have beautiful teeth." Clearly not if I have a cavity! So I've scheduled an appointment to get my first filling - at least it will be white so it'll blend in. I know I'm overreacting, but all I can think is, What's next? First a cavity, then dentures! I guess I should look at it as a rite of passage, right? I don't know. I just can't see tooth decay as a positive thing, but I'll try.

Today is Kurt's 30th birthday. A big milestone! He's out golfing now with his friends and we gave him his birthday present before they left. His friend initiated the biggest group present ever. About a dozen of his friends and family members, including myself, pitched in and got him a 50" plasma TV. I think he was in shock. His exact words were "You've got to be kidding me. You bastards!" He was really excited. They already set it up before they left for the golf course. He even said he wanted to skip golf just to play with it. I just can't believe we actually pulled it off. I never thought we'd get enough money to do it! So Happy Birthday Sweetie! I'm pretty sure this is the best present you'll ever get, so cherish it.


On my nightstand:

I just finished Godmother. I have to say I was a little disappointed with the ending. I, for one, like books that have a fantasy element - that make the impossible possible. I love science fiction and books about other worlds. I love when an author creates something in our world and makes it work - like Twilight or Harry Potter. Vampires and wizards don't exist, but Stephanie Meyer and J. K. Rowling make it believable that they do. I love that. Throughout this book, I thought that's what this author was doing, but in the end ***SPOILER ALERT*** she just made the woman insane and out of touch with reality.

I also love historical fiction - reading about what wasn't, but what could've been. One of the best I've read so far is The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. This book is incredible. It's written as a series of letters between a writer in London and a man on the island of Guernsey in the English channel. He finds her name and address written in a book and writes to her, asking for book recommendations. It takes place just after World War II and he describes what happened to their tiny island when it was occupied by the Germans. It's touching and sweet and the characters in it are so well drawn and colorful - you'll fall right in love with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment