Monday, April 5, 2010

Five Guys

I have a new favorite burger place. Kurt has been raving about these burgers for months. I was less than eager to try it. But on Friday, I was craving a burger. I was sick of same old Red Robin and Ruby Tuesday’s sliders. So, while Five Guys in Ewing was a 30 minute drive, I suggested we go. Oh my goodness. I was in love. The place is a cross between Checkers (décor) and Pat’s Cheesesteaks (ordering style). The décor is 50’s-inspired red, white, and black. We walked in and I almost tripped over 10 sacks of potatoes sitting on pallets on the floor. I assumed they had just come in and they were in the process of storing them. Not so. They just sit there until they’re needed. Love it! Five Guys only has burgers, hot dogs, and fries. That’s it. Let me give you a piece of advise: go straight for the burger, and make sure you've prepared your order ahead of time.

I stumbled over my order, “uhh a cheeseburger please?” while Kurt whispered instructions, “tell him what toppings!” “umm lettuce and ketchup?” Kurt went through his order like a pro and the cashier yelled out “four patties and fries!” I looked at Kurt. We had only ordered 2 burgers. “Four patties?” Each burger has 2 patties, but he assured me I’d be able to handle it. We put a dollar in the tip jar and the cashier yelled, “tip in the jar!” and the line cooks responded, “thank you!” I was loving this place already and I hadn’t even tried the food. When our order was up, Kurt came back to our table with two brown paper bags. One had our burgers and the other will filled with fries. The fries were awesome – they reminded me of the fries we used to get at the boardwalk smothered in vinegar. The burger was a little messy, but was hands down, by far the best burger I have ever had, including the filet mignon burgers my friend’s uncle used to make. It was juicy and full of flavor. The cheese is completely melted and completely awesome. The sesame-seed bun was soft and fresh and soaked up the juice from the patties. It was a burger that could convert any vegetarian. Kurt always teases me because I always end up leaving the last bite of food on my plate (why - I have no idea). Let's just say there wasn't a crumb left. Do yourself a favor, drop everything, and find the nearest Five Guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment