Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Restaurant Week

This week was my own personal “Restaurant Week.” Last Friday I tried Five Guys for the first time. Last night was Yummy Sushi. And tonight is Eno Terra. All new restaurants for me. So, this week, you get some restaurant reviews to read, you lucky people you. Yummy Sushi is in the Robbinsville Town Center and for various reasons, I’ve never tried it. The name was one reason. I always assume that if something says yummy or tasty or good, it means it’s not. I know it’s silly, but I usually assume that a restaurant’s food should speak for itself. The clientele shouldn’t need to be told that it’s good. I learned last night that sometimes, a name is just a name. We walked in to a beautiful, dimly lit restaurant with dark wood paneling and dark brown leather seating. We were greeted by a friendly hostess and an even more friendly server. After being seated (in the most comfortable chair I’ve ever sat on in a restaurant), our server brought us wet naps, waited while we wiped our hands, and took away the now dirty wipes. Impressive, I thought. When I asked if they had iced tea, she pitched me bubble tea. Figuring I’d be adventurous, I tried the Mango flavor. It was decent. I probably won’t order it again with food since it’s a little heavy, but it was good. Different. The edamame was by far the best I’ve ever had. It was fresh and really juicy. I was brave and ordered an eel cucumber roll along with a philadelphia roll. The eel cucumber was amazing. Kurt suggested pairing it with spicy mayo and it was awesome. Kurt ordered a crispy scallop roll and that was amazing too. I’m not sure what the little things are that make “crisy” rolls crispy, but they’re really good. That roll was my favorite of the four we ordered. The atmosphere was quiet and relaxing and we had fun trying to name the songs (instrumentals only) playing in the background. The sushi was fresh and tasty and the server was very nice. All in all, despite my initial prejudice, Yummy Sushi was yummy.

Eno Terra review to come. Though since I work at it’s sister restaurant, you can expect it to be a little partial.


On my nightstand:

For my birthday, I asked for a few books that I’ve been wanting to read, but never had the time to pick up. Kurt gave me Wuthering Heights and Splendor, the fourth book in the Luxe series. I picked up the latter first knowing it would be a quicker read. Ever since I finished the third Luxe book, I’ve been waiting for Splendor to publish. The books take place in Manhattan at the turn of the century and are filled with gossip, romance, love triangles, love squares, heartache, and drama. It’s period chick-lit at it’s best. The stories are interesting and all intertwined. They’re perfect books to take on a beach vacation. You’ll easily read all four in a week. I love the glimpse into the lives of the rich during the late 19th century/early 20th century. It’s so different from our high society now. The rules of fashion and behavior are so interesting and the ways the characters find to break those rules make for scandalously fun reading. Splendor is much like the other books in the series, so I was not disappointed. And thankfully, it keeps me awake on my train ride into the city in the mornings. Not an easy thing to do lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment