Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Food

Monday was the Phillies home opener and like any true Phillies fans, we had tickets. I love Phillies games. I love the atmosphere, the people watching (why do girls dress like strippers when going to a game?), and the food. Definitely the food. We tailgated all day leading up to the game and I had more than my share of ballpark food. Over the course of the day I had a porkroll and cheese sandwich, a hot dog, some of Kurt’s Schmidter (a cheesesteak with porkroll), and a sausage sandwich. I’m big into the sandwiches as you can tell. And I still feel gross from all of it. But how can I resist? The smell of the sausages, peppers, and onions lures me to the longest line at the park and blindingly stand there, not hungry at all, my willpower gone, thinking of nothing but that sandwich. Ballpark food is heaven, especially in Philly.


Since I ate my weight in sandwiches on Monday, and the only veggies I had were cooked in grease, served on a sausage, and probably lacking all nutrients, I decided that dinner tonight would be a salad. Kurt is in a weightloss competition at work and I am desperately craving healthy food, so I figured it was the perfect time to introduce him to the dinner salad. Tonight I made a romaine salad with red-skinned potatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, and chicken. The dressing has both greek yogurt and white wine vinegar so it reminds me a little of the souvlaki I made a few weeks ago. I was craving something light and healthy and devoid of grease. This was perfect. And there's enough left for three lunches!


Now for the long-awaited review of Eno Terra. I know you’ve all been waiting with bated breath. Here it is: make a reservation now. The food was amazing, the atmosphere was amazing, the service was amazing. I can’t say enough about this place. I know I said my review would be partial and biased, but rest assured, it isn’t. Eno Terra appeals to all types. The dining room is relaxing and quiet, perfect for a romantic dinner. Almost every ingredient is local, appealing to foodies. The wine list rivals those of all the best enotecas. It was clear that the owners and chef paid strict attention to detail when designing this building and planning a menu. The menu changes monthly to accommodate seasonal ingredients. It’s small, but diverse. Before we ordered, the manager brought over two glasses of prosecco (sweet and not too dry) and a plate of sliced prosciutto and local cheeses. This was one of my favorite parts of the meal. The prosciutto was so thinly sliced it was translucent and the cheese paired well with it. We also had a bucket of fresh bread from their bakery, Witherspoon Bread Co. and a little plate of oil to accompany it. In the oil was butternut squash puree. I was skeptical at first. Butternut squash puree, in oil, on bread? It was incredible. We finished all of it. For an appetizer, I had the beef carpaccio. It was perfectly sliced and tasted fresh. For my entrĂ©e I had one of the specials: fluke stuffed with crab meat. It was flaky, a little buttery, and fresh. For dessert we had the Bent Spoon gelato trio which was perfect since we were entirely too full for a rich dessert. All in all, it was a great restaurant, with great food and great service. The prices aren’t bad. For the quality of food you’re being served, the prices are actually really good. But it’s definitely a special occasion restaurant. At least for us in this point in our lives. I will definitely be back for my next birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment