Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Carb Overload

This Sunday, I am running my first half marathon. While I very clearly remember saying I would never run a half marathon, sometime shortly after The Broad Street 10 Mile Run I think it was, I found myself signing up for the Seaside Heights Half Marathon with two friends.

(As an aside, I will NEVER run a full marathon. You can hold me to that one. Bucket list be damned. Not only do I have no desire to run a full marathon, I also don’t have the time to train for one. How do people work full-time AND go for 4 hour runs on a regular basis?)

Anyway, I have been training for the past 12 weeks, running 3-4 times a week and have already run 10 miles twice (more than I’ve ever run for any period of time since high school when my field hockey coach was forcing me to). While I cannot wait for this race to be over, I think I’m going to keep running. I love to run, especially in the summer, but sometime around November, my motivation goes out the window and I end up sitting in front of the tv pigging out on holiday leftovers all winter. Come Spring, I’m out of shape and the thought of getting back INTO shape depresses me. This race has forced me to keep a steady schedule and I have to say, being able to run 5 miles and FEEL GOOD during it, is totally worth it. THAT is what I don’t want to lose this winter. Yea. Let’s see how long this lasts.
I have, however, entered the very best part of the training: Carb-Loading. This week, I have to run 3 2-mile runs at an easy pace, so as not to tire myself out before the race on Sunday. No problem. Easy-peasy right? Just wait. Here's the best part: Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, 80% of my food intake needs to be carbohydrates. Apparently, I need to cut down on the fat and fiber (which are difficult to digest), and load up on pasta, rice, bread, bagels. Seriously? THIS I can do. If only the entire training had been like this. The article I found on RunnersWorld.com said I should aim to gain about 3-4 pounds in the 3 days leading up to the race. Less running + all the carbs I can eat? I’m on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment