Tuesday, October 18, 2011

You Don't Know The Jersey Shore Until You've Run It

Sunday was an historic day - I ran my first half-marathon with my friend, Macarena. It was our last little venture together before she moves to Chile. I have to admit I was a little nervous. We had been training for the past 12 weeks, but I still wasn't sure exactly how I'd feel during the last 3 miles. We'd only ever run 10. The race was in Seaside Heights, NJ, known, as of recently, for fist-pumping guidos. On Sunday, however, the boardwalk was filled, not with overly-tanned, buff men with blow-outs, but with men and women ready to check something off their bucket list, or train for their next marathon. I can safely say Maca and I were of the former group of people. The race began on the boardwalk. We ran past arcades and foodstands, closed for the season. When the boardwalk ran out, we ran through the streets to Island Beach State Park, and then back to the boardwalk, finishing where we started, though maybe a few pounds lighter and definitely sweatier. The course was beautiful. Running on the boardwalk, we were able to catch some glimpses of the ocean through breaks in the dunes. Above all, it was flat, thank God. We started out slowly, too nervous to push ourselves too much too early, but at the halfway point, we realized we were making good time. Our goal was to finish in two hours and 30 minutes. At the halfway point, our time was one hour and 12 minutes. Feeling good and encouraged by our time, we picked up the pace on the way back. I think we were both surprised with how good we felt. Neither of us was gasping for air or ready to quit. My knee started hurting about a mile into the race, which was fantastic, but thankfully, it held out for the next 12.1 miles. Maca's entire family came to support us, equipped with cameras, video cameras, and signs. It was adorable. It felt so good sprinting to the finish line with Maca, her family cheering us on. We finished in two hours, 21 minutes, and 49 seconds, 9 minutes under our goal. Her dad shot a great video of us crossing the finish line, which I'll post when I get it from him. I never thought I'd say this, but I will definitely be running another half marathon. That thrill at the end, when you've actually done something you've been preparing for for so long, but still weren't entirely sure you could do, is something I hope each of you feels one day. It's exhilarating. But now that Maca's leaving me (unless of course I succeed in kidnapping her and her husband before they get the chance to leave), I need a new running buddy. Who's in?


On a separate, though not completely unrelated note, we threw a surprise Going Away Party for Maca and her husband Sunday night. Let me just say that you should all go out and make friends with people who work in restaurants. Everyone brought and/or made the most amazing food. Our host (one of the managers from the restaurant), made duck, steak, and ribs on the grill. It was a great night. I don't think I have ever been to a party where everyone ended up sitting around the same table, eating, talking, and laughing, until now. I hate goodbyes, but I think if you do have to say goodbye to someone you love, this was the perfect way to do it: surrounded by good food, laughter, (with maybe a few tears thrown in) and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment