Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A note on internet privacy


You might find this post odd, since you’re reading this on a blog, one that has minimal privacy and just about all personal information revealed, but here’s the thing: I choose to disclose information to the world. You, however, might not want your entire life accessible to anyone with access to Google.

A friend of mine called the other day to make plans for dinner. In that phone call, she told me she was updating her online privacy, Googled her name to see where it would come up, and found an online journal my sister had kept in 2004 that mentioned going to lunch with said friend. A PRIVATE online journal, that was password protected. Today, I told my sister. Here is how that conversation went:

Me: So did you know you had an online journal in 2004 that's still online?
My sister:  Huh? Its accessible?
Me:  Apparently
My sister:  Wow, just found it.  How do i delete that!
Me:  I don't know!
My sister:  Holy crap!
Me: Your grammar in it is horrifying
My sister: Oh, I know.

So, readers, you might want to go ahead and type your name into Google and make sure any personal information, like your diary from when you were 14, is not accessible to the public. Just a thought.


Day 7:
Click here for Day 1, here for Day 2, here for Day 3, here for Day 4, here for Day 5, and here for Day 6.



For dinner tonight, I met a friend at a little cafe we used to frequent in high school. The last time I was there was when my girlfriends and I got together during a break in college, about 10 years ago. The best part? Nothing has changed. It's still the hippie, eclectic, whimsical, cozy cafe it was when I was in high school. It's decorated for Valentine's Day right now with pink and red paper lanterns, which I love. So I took this fuzzy picture, awkwardly, while my friend laughed loudly, drawing attention to my creepiness.

2 comments:

  1. I wasn't laughing thaaat loudly.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at all! Just loud enough for the whole waitstaff to look over while I take a picture of their decorations. ;-) Don't worry, it was a very cute laugh.

    ReplyDelete