Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Celebrity Sightings in Starbucks

Today was a good day. First of all, the sun came out after two miserable days of rain, but more importantly and more excitingly (is that even a word?) I saw Chris Meloni today at the Starbucks near my office. I know. My heart was all aflutter (it’s even fluttering now as I relive it in my head). For those of you sad, sorry people who don’t know who he is, he plays Detective Elliot Stabler on Law & Order: SVU – one of the few shows my DVR is set to record. I had heard rumors that he lived in our building, and some of my coworkers had spotted him previously, but I’d never seen him. Until today! My colleague and I were waiting in line when I saw him in the line behind us. I immediately began *subtly* poking my friend and mouthing “look!” Understandably, it took her awhile to realize why I was freaking out – though I’m surprised he didn’t notice my antics. When she finally realized who I wanted her to look at, she was a lot less excited than me. Another colleague came in and after the same poking and head tossing to point out my celebrity sighting, she said, “oh, I don’t know who that is.” Me, I could barely contain myself. On the rare occasion that I see a celebrity I’m always torn between respectfully going up to them telling them I’m a fan and acting “cool” and nonchalant about it. I usually go with acting “cool” though I’m sure I look nothing of the sort while I’m stealing glances and giggling like a preteen. I decide not to speak to them because I know I won’t be able to restrain myself. I’ll end up gushing and professing my love for them or stumbling all over my words. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not a huge celebrity hound, but Chris Meloni? Come on. There was no way I could go up to him without blushing something crazy and sounding like a complete stuttering idiot. Now, of course, I regret it. That always happens. In the moment, I’m torn, racked with inner conflict, but always take the “I’m a cool New Yorker who sees celebrities all the time” route, like everyone else in Starbucks (seriously, no one else seemed to notice that Detective Stabler had just ordered a tall latte!). But when it’s over and they’re long gone, I wish I had gotten a picture with my cell phone or been that flattering, over-enthusiastic fan. I guess I could always turn stalker and go to Starbucks every single day at the exact same time, waiting for my second chance. Just kidding. I may be overly excitable, but I’m no stalker. At least I have that going for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment