Friday, March 19, 2010

How to Emulsify

The past few weeks have been insanely busy and I haven’t had time to make dinner. I went to the grocery store Monday night, bought a ton of groceries, only to realize I barely had time to make 2 recipes this week and wouldn’t be home most nights.

Wednesday night I made Sirloin with Chimichurri, my famous smashed potatoes, and sauteed veggies. The chimichurri came out good and went great with the sirloin. I was a little worried since it called for a food processor and I don’t have one. I used my trusty chopping knife and some elbow grease instead. I learned a new word as well: emulsify. It sounds scary, like pulverize or puree, so that’s what I assumed it meant. It actually means to mix two liquids that do not normally mix well, such as oil and water. Not so scary. The sirloin itself was a little tough, so I’ll have to figure out how to make it more tender next time. I don’t even think we have a mallet. My smashed potatoes are simple and amazing if I do say so myself. The only problem with them is I always make too much and end up eating ALL of them in one sitting. I peel only about 3/4 of the potatoes, boil the peeled and non-peeled potatoes, then smash them with a masher (keeping some lumps in). I mix in milk, butter, sour cream, salt and pepper to taste. Please note, these are not “healthy” smashed potatoes. But really, when you want something comforting and tasty, who goes for healthy? Butter and sour cream make everything better.

Next on the menu: Chili-rubbed Tilapia (except Shop Rite didn’t have Tilapia, so I’m making Sole instead). To come on Sunday.

On Tuesday, I took a personal day and went to the Neurologist. For as long as I can remember, I’ve gotten migraines. They’re rare, but debilitating all the same. For about the past fifteen years, the only symptoms accompanying my migraine headaches are sensitivity to light and sound and nausea – basically the symptoms that turn a headache into a migraine. I don’t know my triggers since they are so rare, it’s difficult to find a common factor. But over the past 3 years, three of my migraines were preceded by loss of vision and mental confusion. I can’t even describe how scary this is. The first time it happened, I was so panicked I thought I was going blind. For anyone who's wondering, the confusion is more terrifying than the vision loss. Like any closet hypochondriac in my generation, once the symptoms subsided and my headache started, I looked up my symptoms on WedMD and found they were fairly normal for migraine sufferers, but I was determined to get it checked out anyway. It took two more migraines like this to put me into motion.

The exam was interesting. Honestly, I felt like I had time-traveled back to the ‘60’s. The doctor actually had a black “doctor” satchel filled with his stethoscope, little hammer, and the thing they use to look in your eye. After an extensive and exhausting round of background questions, he performed the neurological exam: providing resistance while I pushed and pulled my arms, legs, elbow, wrist, etc. He then hit my joints with the little hammer and declared that I was normal. In order to be completely sure I don’t have a lesion in my brain (!) he’s having me do an MRI and a sleep-deprived EEG. This means I have to stay up all night next Thursday. I’m not allowed to sleep at all, nor am I allowed to take anything to help me stay awake. I’m not sure this doctor knows who he’s dealing with. I can pretty much fall asleep at any time. I LOVE to sleep. It’s one of my favorite things to do. I have pulled maybe 2 all-nighters in my life and both times were nights when I was surrounded by people, music, and constant stimulation. Here’s the deal: if I’m bored, I will fall asleep. So what to do? I’ll have at least 8 hours to kill and I’ll be exhausted and delirious for most of those hours. I need suggestions. I’m thinking about cleaning the whole apartment from top to bottom, taking a shower or two, maybe going to an all night diner at some point. I’m seriously dreading Thursday night and I’m REALLY not sure I can do this. Stay tuned.


On my nightstand:

I finished Neverwhere last week. It was awesome. Please please please go read anything by Neil Gaiman. He is such a great storyteller.

Now, I’m on to The Help. It’s a New York Times Bestseller and I’ve heard rave reviews from a ton of people at work. Now, I agree with all of them. I’m about halfway through. It takes place in Mississippi in the ‘60’s during the Civil Rights Movement. It alternates between three women: 2 Black housemaids, and 1 wealthy white woman who wants to help them tell their stories. It’s filled with drama and history and is so well written and the story, so well told. The voices are completely unique and I’ve found myself becoming deeply attached to each of them. It’s an easy read too. It’s a long book, but I’m devouring it, quickly. Definitely worth lugging to the beach on vacation – though you might not want to put it down to turn over while tanning.

No comments:

Post a Comment