Monday, March 29, 2010

The Right to Walk-Out

While sitting captive in the doctor’s waiting room last week, I saw a story on the news that got me thinking. Students from a Linwood, NJ school had staged a walk-out to protest some of their teachers being let go. To conclude the story, the reporter stated, “disciplinary measures are being considered.” I understand that these students are disrupting the school day by walking out, but should they be disciplined? They are peacefully protesting their AUTHORITY FIGURES being let go. They walked out in support of their teachers. Isn’t this what we want from students? Support for their teachers? They weren't being rowdy or obnoxious. In fact, their walkout drew the attention of the news and shone a spotlight on a very real problem. I say bravo. When I was in 5th grade, my elementary school did something similar. One of our teachers was being let go. He was dedicated, well-loved, and an all-around great teacher. But rumor had it he didn’t get along with the superintendent. Frankly, I think petty politics do not belong in our school systems as the true meaning of teaching ends up getting lost, but I digress. Grades 5-8 staged a walkout. We wore buttons, carried signs, and even had the support of many teachers. The superintendent threatened to expel all students who participated – an empty threat since he couldn’t very well expel EVERYONE. Our walk-out generated some local media buzz, but all in all, was completely ineffective. Our teacher was let go anyway. But it showed our administrators that we cared what happened to our teachers, that we wanted good teachers. Sure, the superintendent wasn't keen on our disagreeing with him, but our intentions were good and our teachers supported us.

My question is, why are these administrators looking to punish these kids? They’re exercising their freedom of speech as well as their right to gather peacefully. I think it’s brave and touching that they banded together in support of teachers - whom they normally rally against. They should be applauded. And maybe (gasp!) even listened to. I think school authorities sometimes forget that to really teach children means to listen to them and to consider their concerns, not just throw information at them and hope it sticks. I truly believe most teachers understand this - all good teachers do, certainly - but I think it becomes lost on the administrators. I think we need more students who will fight for education and for the benefit of good teachers. Who else will?

No comments:

Post a Comment